Lemon-Batter Fish Recipe
Written by Jessica Lal on May 25, 2023
Fishing is a popular recreational activity where we live, so folks are always looking for ways to prepare their catches.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup lemon juice, divided
- 2 pounds perch or walleye fillets, cut into serving-sized pieces
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Combine 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In another bowl, combine egg, water and 1/3 cup lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients until smooth.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1/2 cup flour in separate shallow bowls. Dip fillets in lemon juice, then flour, then coat with egg mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 in. oil over medium-high heat. Fry fillets until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.